Main functions: Prepare the band in weekly rehearsals and work with the board to plan and organize musical performances. Provide artistic direction to band including choice of repertoire.
Reports to: Board
Role and Responsibilities:
HAVE FUN – and ensure the musicians and audience have FUN too!
- Start and end rehearsals on time.
- Conduct the band for all rehearsals and concert events.
- If unable to attend, find a replacement conductor.
- A list of back-up conductors to call will be suggested.
- Maintain a personal calendar for rehearsals and performances
- Prepare for known future concerts at least 3 months in advance.
- Select music, order charts if necessary
- Select music within guidelines set by the board, the concert’s purpose and the group’s mission.
- Select music for musicians with a variety of playing abilities, ages, and personalities.
- Utilize existing music in library before purchasing new material
- Purchase and distribute music in coordination with the JHCB librarian.
- Charts must arrive at least 1 week prior to distribution and given to librarian.
- Librarian will stamp and entering chart information into database.
- Distribution of music should be coordinated with Librarian.
- Rehearse A Concerts at least 6 weeks prior to concerts.
- B concert rehearsals can be done as appropriate for the event
- Dress appropriately for the podium, varying with the venue and concert type.
- Prepare music order and program notes in a timely manner.
- Always consider that the organization is a non-profit group with limited resources when making decisions regarding concerts, music, etc.
- Keep board informed of conflicts or decisions being made as they relate to or impact the band.
- Attend board meetings when needed.
Cancelling rehearsal is only allowed with board approval
- 7:00-9:00PM Thursdays
- Season begins first Thursday after Grand Teton Music Festival summer concert series ends, (end of August)
- No Rehearsal Thanksgiving
- Two to three week break for the December Holidays
- Resume first Thursday in January
- Two week break to correspond with the Teton County Wyoming School District
- Summer Break after last Concert in July
Formal Concerts – A Concerts
These concerts are scheduled yearly by the board and conductor.
- Halloween Concert
- End of October
- Holiday Concert
- Beginning of December
- Spring Concert
- Varies end of March to beginning of May
- Jackson Lake Lodge Patriotic Concert
- Typically the weekend before the 4th of July
Community Events – B Concerts
These events are scheduled by others
- Old Bills
- Second Saturday morning in September
- Mid October
- Lighting of the Town Square
- Friday evening after Thanksgiving
- Special Olympics Opening Ceremonies
- Typically second Tuesday evening in February
- Saturday morning week before Memorial Day
- Old West Days Parade
- Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend
- Independence Day Events
- Parade – Morning
- Additional performances vary
Instrument Petting Zoos
- August Petting Zoo for GTMF
- Farmer’s Market Petting Zoo (every 2nd-3rd year)
The Jackson Hole Community Band is sometimes requested for community special events. Each is discussed by the board, if unable to conduct the board will find a conductor from the approved list. It may be necessary to share some rehearsal time in this event.